Current:Home > InvestIran says it has agreed with Saudis to reschedule Asian Champions League soccer match after walkout -Capitatum
Iran says it has agreed with Saudis to reschedule Asian Champions League soccer match after walkout
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 02:37:51
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran said Wednesday it has agreed with Saudi Arabia to reschedule an Asian Champions League match after the Saudi team walked out at the last minute, apparently over the presence of a statue of a slain Iranian general.
The walkout appeared to further strain a recent rapprochement between Saudi Arabia and Iran, longtime rivals who have backed opposite sides in conflicts across the Middle East. But in the days since, both sides have appeared eager to move past it.
The Saudi Al Ittihad team did not come out onto the field in Isfahan on Monday, where some 60,000 fans were eagerly awaiting their match against Iran’s Sepahan. Saudi Arabia’s state-run Al Ekhbariya TV said they refused to come out because of a statue of the late Gen. Qassem Soleimani placed outside the entrance tunnel.
Soleimani, who commanded the elite Quds Force of Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, is seen as a war hero by Iran’s clerical rulers and their supporters but vilified by Western and many Arab nations because of his role in leading Iran’s military activities across the region. He was killed in a U.S. drone strike in neighboring Iraq in 2020.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian told reporters Wednesday that the two sides would reschedule the match and urged the Asian Football Confederation to review the incident on a “technical” basis.
“We should not allow sport to be used as political leverage” by any side, he said.
He went on to say that relations with Saudi Arabia are moving in the right direction, and that he had been in direct contect with his Saudi counterpart on Monday night.
Saudi officials have not commented on the walkout.
Al Ittihad released a statement hours after the walkout saying the team had left the stadium and flown home because it was told by league organizers that the match would not take place as scheduled. The Saudi Arabian Football Federation put out a statement expressing support for the team. Neither statement mentioned the Soleimani statue, one of three placed around the stadium.
Mohammad Reza Saket, the chairman of Sepahan, told Iranian state TV late Monday that Al Ittihad had made “demands that were outside of the norms of sport,” without elaborating. He said the stadium had been inspected and approved by the AFC prior to the match.
The AFC said the match was canceled “due to unanticipated and unforeseen circumstances,” without elaborating. On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal club defeated Iran’s Nassaji in a match in the Iranian capital, Tehran.
The soccer tournament, which features 40 teams from around Asia, is the first since 2015 to see Saudi Arabian and Iranian teams play on each other’s soil. After the countries severed diplomatic relations in 2016, games usually took place in neutral venues.
The two countries restored diplomatic relations earlier this year in an agreement brokered by China. That raised hopes that the devastating war between a Saudi-led coalition and Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi rebels, which has been winding down in recent years, might finally come to an end.
But tensions rose again last month after an attack killed four soldiers who were patrolling Saudi Arabia’s southern border with Yemen. The soldiers were from Bahrain, a close Saudi ally, and the coalition blamed the Houthis, who have not publicly acknowledged the attack.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Want to stress less in 2024? A new book offers '5 resets' to tame toxic stress
- New Maryland report highlights stagnant state economy
- Shootout with UNLV gunman heard in new Las Vegas police body camera video
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- In AP poll’s earliest days, some Black schools weren’t on the radar and many teams missed out
- Arizona rancher rejects plea deal in fatal shooting of migrant near the US-Mexico border; trial set
- RHOSLC's Monica Garcia Responds to Explosive Season Finale Scandal With Nod to Gossip Girl
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Founder of retirement thoroughbred farm in Kentucky announces he’s handing over reins to successor
Ranking
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Justice Department sues Texas over law that would let police arrest migrants who enter US illegally
- Vigil held to honor slain Muslim boy as accused attacker appears in court in Illinois
- Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear calls for unity in GOP-leaning Kentucky to uplift economy, education
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- T.I., Tiny Harris face sexual assault lawsuit for alleged 2005 LA hotel incident: Reports
- How to watch the Golden Globes: Your guide to nominations, time, host and more
- NATO to help buy 1,000 Patriot missiles to defend allies as Russia ramps up air assault on Ukraine
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
'Quarterbacky': The dog whistle about Lamar Jackson that set off football fans worldwide
A jet’s carbon-composite fiber fuselage burned on a Tokyo runway. Is the material safe?
Madrid edges Mallorca 1-0 and Girona beats Atletico 4-3 to stay at the top at halfway point in Spain
NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
Successful evacuation from burning Japan Airlines jet highlights dogged devotion to safety
Nebraska judge allows murder case to proceed against suspect in killing of small-town priest
Founder of retirement thoroughbred farm in Kentucky announces he’s handing over reins to successor